About Antiques Trade Gazette
Launched in 1971, the Antiques Trade Gazette is the acknowledged ‘bible’ of the antiques trade. It is owned by Auction Technology Group and is a sister brand to leading art and antiques e-commerce auction platform thesaleroom.com.
The Gazette is the weekly newspaper and daily website covering one of the UK’s most creative industries - the fine art, antiques and collectables sector. The world’s most beautiful art and design works are celebrated in our editorial products.
The features editor (interim) would be joining a busy and committed editorial desk blending art market expertise with experienced journalists from other industries.
Having recently undergone a redesign, in print and online, the Gazette’s mission remains the reporting of the commercial trade in art and antiques, while celebrating beautiful and historical objects. Our output continues to evolve online with weekly e-bulletins, regular video interviews and frequent updates via our social media channels.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Reporting to the Editor and working alongside the Deputy Editor, co-management of Antiques Trade Gazette’s features and supplements: the role involves commissioning, writing and management of features and supplements, in a way that helps boost circulation, web traffic and the Gazette’s authority as the ‘bible’ of the art and antiques market
- Lead team to brain-storm ideas for features and supplements to pitch at Editor, taking industry trends and presentation of content on antiquestradegazette.com into account
- Write clear, concise briefs, commission and liaise with writers, internally and with external freelancers. Ensure copy is filed on time and to a high standard
- Develop ideas that drive web traffic and circulation across the Gazette brand and support the Gazette’s social media strategy
- Become familiar with Auction Technology Group’s data sources for scheduling of features, especially the auction calendar database, and for understanding trends, in particular data from the Gazette’s e-commerce sister brand, thesaleroom.com
- Communicate regularly with advertising sales team to maintain and build features list, amending topics where necessary
- Manage art desk to bring ideas to design fruition
- Co-manage features/contributors budget with Deputy Editor
- Write articles for print and web where appropriate
- Proof read to a high, accurate standard all pages produced
- Source new writers
- Attend events in the art market’s busy calendar of auctions and fairs to gather ideas and contacts
Key Skills / Experiences
A proven track record of:
- Project management skills – you are an organised, resourceful and hard-working person who has produced well-researched, engaging and original features and supplements in high quality print publications; who communicates in a timely manner with Editor, Deputy Editor, Chief Production Editor, ad team and production staff.
- Your own engaging writing skills, with factual accuracy a priority
- Some appreciation of art and antiques. Expert knowledge of the sector is welcome but is not necessary for role.
- Contact building – you demonstrate ability to build contacts externally in the marketplace face-to-face and remotely and internally with ad and production teams in particular.
- Digital experience – you are digital and social in your work and private lives, with an ability to think digitally and social media-wise when commissioning print content.
- Uploading to a website CMS.